4 lbs Rumba® beef oxtails, cut in 2-inch pieces
2 tbsp (plus more for dusting) flour, all purpose
Vegetable oil (as needed)
1 cup onions, minced
1 tbsp paprika
1 qt beef broth
2 cups canned diced tomatoes
8 oz fresh or 10 oz frozen okra, sliced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- Rinse oxtails and dry well with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large heavy stewing pot. Brown oxtail pieces in small batches, adding more oil to the pan between batches if necessary. Hold browned pieces on the side.
- Add the onions to the pot and brown slowly. Sprinkle in flour and paprika and mix well.
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and return the oxtails. Simmer gently until tender, about 3-4 hours.
- When the oxtails are nearly tender, add the okra and hot pepper flakes and simmer until the okra is tender, about 10 more minutes (less time if using frozen okra).
- Season the stew with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with white rice, boiled potatoes or buttered noodles.